Community Housing Resource Center
The Community Housing Resource Center exists to prevent individuals and families from becoming homeless and to rapidly re-house those who are already homeless. The Center provides essential homeless assistance and prevention services to those individuals and families living in the Blue Ridge Continuum of Care service area.
Types of Assistance
Homelessness Prevention (At-Risk of Homelessness)
The CHRC has several different programs that offer assistance for individuals and families that are in danger of becoming homeless. In order to help those most at-risk of losing their housing, the CHRC coordinates referrals through Central Intake to ensure these resources are reaching households most at risk of experiencing homelessness. The homeless prevention programs require a referral from Central Intake.
Documents need for screening for Prevention Assistance:
- Social Security Cards (Household)
- ID for household members 18+
- Intent to rent form
- Lease with signatures
- Pay stubs or benefit statement
- Current bank account balance (printed)
- Court documents
- Proof of eviction if doubled up
Rapid Re-Housing (Experiencing Homelessness)
The CHRC has funding for individuals and families that are literally homeless and have limited resources to obtain housing on their own. The CHRC offers short term financial assistance and connection to services to assist clients to achieve stability quickly. This program is known as rapid re-housing. The rapid re-housing program requires a referral from a shelter or case worker to be considered.
Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA)
The CHRC offers short-term rental and/or utility assistance to those who have at least one member of the household living with HIV/AIDS and have experienced an emergency that has caused them to be unable to meet their expenses.
Who May Qualify for Assistance?
In order to receive financial assistance or services through the CHRC, individuals and families – whether homeless or housed – must at least meet the following minimum requirements:
- The household must reside in the Blue Ridge Continuum of Care service area. The CoC service area covers the counties of Alleghany, Botetourt, Craig, Roanoke and the cities of Covington, Roanoke, and Salem.
- The household must be: Homeless or at risk of losing its housing.
- No appropriate housing options have been identified
- The household lacks the financial resources and support networks needed to obtain immediate housing or remain in its existing housing.
- The household must meet income requirements (income limits vary by program).
Any individual or family provided services through the CHRC must have an initial consultation with a case manager or other authorized representative who can determine the appropriate type of assistance to meet their needs.
339 Salem Avenue
Roanoke, VA 24016
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:15 AM – 4:30 PM